Saturday 19 January 2019



This will be a post full of links to things that have interested me so far this January.

A friend of mine said it would be nice to have links to all the blogs I read but I don't follow many blogs these days.  I find that I get something in my mind and then I exhaust the internet finding information on whatever "thing" I have in my mind, and in special cases, our local library, and once my curiosity is satisfied I move on to the next thing!

Or I read very silly books, very serious Christian books,  watch very silly shows or very serious documentaries.

This is my life.



Starting with the silly things that interest me these days,
Meghan Markle!  

I Google that woman WAY MORE than is probably normal.
Please send me a commemorative plate of Harry & Meghan's wedding if you have one.  A t-shirt would be better though!
Oh my goodness.
I need a commemorative wedding t-shirt.
Is that even a thing?  
Now I have more things to Google once I am done this post!

I like Town & Country for my royalty news, thank you very much.

Other silliness, my love for Doctor Who will never waver.  Over Christmas I read "Touched By An Angel" (NOTHING like the tv-show.  There was an oversight when they titled this book...) It was SO GOOD!!   And since new episodes of the tv show won't be coming out until 2020, the next best thing will be reading 
ALL THE NOVELS!!  My copy of "I Am a Dalek" arrived this week and it will be fun, easy read. 

My friend Leanne knows how to pick books for me.  I have never been lent a book from her that I have not loved. One day before Christmas I heard a knock on my door and there she was!  Holding a book she thought I would like to borrow, a quick hug, a Merry Christmas, and she was off.  The book was "At Home" by Bill Bryson and I have slowly been making my way through it's pages ever since.  It's such an interesting and intriguing book that I highly recommend if you love history. (You seriously need to read Stir.  Another fantastic loaner from Leanne that showed up on my doorstep one day. 






One of the best gifts I have ever been given was 
"Jerusalem", a cook book by Ottolenghi.  

For one of our Foodie Club meals, 
Erin designated "Jerusalem" cookbook as the theme and 
I have ever since been in love with making all food of middle eastern decent at home. 

(I'm pretty sure Israel and Palestine are middle eastern?  This totally shows my total ignorance of all things geography but I don't feel like going to Google and correcting myself.  
That would take time and I get lost on rabbit trails and then this post will never be done!)  

Tracy gifted me "Jerusalem" years ago and this year 
she gifted me "Simple" by Ottolenghi and 
my mom gave me "Jewish Soul Food" by Janna Gur.

I. Made. So. Much. Good. Food. 2. Weeks. Ago.

Please note that these cookbooks were given to me in October and I have only  just gotten around to using them.

Also, Jon's digestive track does not respond well to these meals.
I made no less then 4 meals from these cook books in one week.
He has requested I try a different type of cuisine.



Being home alone, getting to my house work and listening to podcasts is a happy place for my heart, spirit and mind.

But finding good podcasts can be tricky!
Elena & Patrick put me onto OnScript and I LOVE IT!!

I am not a scholar or an academic.
Maybe one day?!  The Lord only knows.
For sure I am not right now.

What I love about this podcast is listening to professors 
(all the ones I've listened to anyway) 
talk about the bible in ways that I have not heard since I was in bible college. There is something so refreshing about being taught the bible by someone that is not a pastor.  
Please don't read into that statement either.  
What is required of pastor's in our church's is a huge ask and they have all my respect.  

Sometimes though, 
I'd like to go a little deeper than say... 
"Have Patience" or "Mission Sunday".
Both good things and I'm totally on board!
Please don't mis-read this as angsty or bitter.

I just finished listening to the interview with Natalie Carnes about her book "Image and Presence" and now I have ANOTHER book added to my list of "Books I Want To Read".  Later this week I will listen to the podcast again because she uses very intersting words that I don't know and I'm pretty sure a lot of what she said went completely over my head.




Palms down.  Palms up.

Watch this and then carry on reading.
You won't be sorry, I promise.




At about the 2 minute point on the video, Richard Foster leads the group in a prayer.  And he explains praying with "Palms Down" and praying with "Palms Up".  This way of praying has stuck with me for nearly two weeks solid now.

If you didnt watch the video, here is an explanation of the prayer taken from here.

  1. “Begin by placing your palms down as a symbolic indication of your desire to turn over any concerns you may have to God.  Inwardly you may pray, ‘Lord, I give to you my anger toward John.  I release my fear of my dentist appointment this morning.  I surrender my anxiety over not having enough money to pay the bills this month.   I release my frustration over trying to find a baby-sitter for tonight.’  Whatever it is that weighs on your mind or is a concern to you… release it.  You may even feel a certain sense of release in your hands.”  
  2. “After several moments of surrender, turn you palms up as a symbol of your desire to receive from the Lord.  Perhaps you will pray silently, ‘Lord, I would like to receive your divine love for John, your peace about my dentist appointment, your patience, your joy’.”  
  3. “Having centered down, spend the remaining moments in complete silence.  Do not ask for anything.  Allow the Lord to commune with you, to love you.”
Don't you just love that?!
I find the 3rd part the most difficult.
Being quiet and sitting in the loving presence of 
my Jesus is hard.  You should hear the never ending stream of thoughts I have about pretty much everything all the time.
  
But I know it is good and right 
to be still, 
to listen, 
to commune.

I sent the "Palms down. Palms up." prayer posture to a group that prays on Thursdays and I was sent the most precious and heart touching email from one of our prayers.  It was so touching.  Like a hug for my heart & spirit.

In the email she sent a prayer that she pray's often, 
which led me to reading about 
which led me to learn that the prayer sent 
was from Saint Augustine.

(Side note - The people from OnScript often mention 
Saint Augustine.  I think I need to find out more about him.)

Here is the prayer my praying friend sent me.





My dear friend Sue.
She get's me to do and read the best things.

For years now we attempt to do something 
holy... 
spiritual... 
Christian...  
life transformative... 
every January.  
Sometimes the things we attempt stick, 
other years, not so much.  
But we are very well intentioned!!

Thursday morning I get a text message from Sue saying I should check out IF: Gathering for the online pass to a conference they were putting on in February.  Sue told me I should check out the speakers to see if it would be good.

Her actual words were "Check out IFGathering. We can buy a digital pass and watch from the comfort of our living room.  
You know so many speakers/leaders. Do you think it would be worth watching?"

So what did I do?
I just up and bought it without actually checking it out.
Because basically I just want to do all the Christian ladies conferences with Sue ALL THE TIME.

Her response 
"If it's crappy that's on you!!!!!!"

At this point I am killing myself laughing.
She's totally right.
What did I sign up for??!!


Good thing that after the fact, IF:Gathering seems pretty solid.
I was at peace when listed as "Our Beliefs" was the Nicene Creed and one of their previous speakers was Jo Saxton.  I was given Jo Saxton's  book "More Than Enchanting" and I liked it.

Phew!
Crisis averted.



Lastly!!

Fundraising concerts are an entire level of fun and organizing that I have not ever been a part of.

UNTIL NOW!!

Working with friend's towards a common goal is so very very rewarding in ways I had not anticipated.  My friends are amazing and I am honored to sit at the planning table with them.

ALSO!! Knowing everyone's enneagram number has been so helpful!

Have you ever been to an event at Neufeld Garage??
This place is super cool and the owners have been amazing to work with!!

And do you know Luke Jacob Theissen??!
Here, let me introduce you if you don't already.
He's putting on the concert!
It's gonna be sooo good.




 Here is the event page on Facebook if you are interested in coming.   Love for Ashleigh & Jordan concert with Luke Jacob Theissen




Well.  That's me in a blog post.
Until next time everyone!
Rachelle









No comments:

Post a Comment