Tuesday 29 March 2016



So the mental battle for me is this - It is so easy to be unhappy with what I have.  
But I actually love what I have.

So why be so dissatisfied?

I think dissatisfaction is a sneaky bastard.

As of yesterday, all I see when I look at my home are the things I don't like and wish I could change.

A short list:
new flooring EVERYWHERE
re-do the entire living room
re-do the entire mud room
gut the bathroom
re-paint everything
change the windows
landscape the yard

I could keep going.

The stupid thing is, when I look at my home most other days what I see is this:

we have a home
I love how much actual living space we have
I love how much natural light we have for the majority of the day
we have windows
there are no limitations on how many holes I put in the walls
my mud room is big
these walls hold cherished memories
my dining room is my favourite room in the entire house

When I take a moment to stand back and look at what I have instead of nit-picking at all the flaws I see, it's a very different perspective.


My house is small.
I love and wrestle with our space at the same time.
The counter-culture part of me loves that it's small.
The desire to have a bigger kitchen sometimes creeps up but I try to squash it because I don't have a bigger kitchen and an addition is not in my near future.
Neither is moving.

Here is the bigger wrestle.

I am in my home for the foreseeable future.
So what is the point of dreaming about a bigger home?

My concern is that if I think of something I want more, I will become very discontented with what I have.

Dreams can sometimes be dangerous.
Dreams can sometimes be dangerous?

And, my home is a frigging mansion compared to what the majority of the world live in.  Who am I to even want more space?

AND, there are people who dream of living in a smaller home than what I have!!

See.
It's all a matter of perspective.

Worthy dreams to me are this:

I want to ride bikes to the splash pad all summer and have picnic lunches there.
Go to a women's conference or a weekend away with my women multiple times in my life.
A real family trip with my husband and kids to Dollywood and to see Kentucky.
Before I die I want to visit the highlands in Scotland to see where my ancestors came from. (My dad's side)
I want to go to Iceland with Jon for a wedding anniversary.
One day I want to visit the Doctor Who Experience in England.
As my kids get older, that they would know I am their number one fan and no matter what, I am always proud of them.
I will finish my damn mudroom.  I started painting it 6 years ago and never finished it.  Now, at the prompting and vision of a dear friend, 
there is a plan in place and it's time to start it.


There.  I like that list much better.

2 comments: