Monday 21 March 2016


This rooster trivet is my favourite trivet.

I own 4 trivets so I can say that.

Moving along.....


I ordered this book late last week and I am really looking forward to reading it!



As of late I have been thinking about and forming ideas about what I believe a beautiful and true friendship is.

My hope is that this book will add to and improve the ideas I am formulating.

Here is a quote






Some friendships I have done well.

 Some I have ruined and failed at miserably.

 Some I have allowed more authority in my life than was healthy.

 Some friendships have flourished into the most beautiful 
thing you have ever seen. 

I have burned a few bridges.

Some friendships are super old and I intend for them to get older.

Some are very young and I am curious to see where they will go.





I have had, on more than one occasion, the conversation with Christian friends of mine that they hope I would correct them if I ever saw something that needed a reprimand.

You may, or may not, know that Christians have this thing in the bible about being corrected and 
or correcting what other's are doing.  

One time I had to sit beside this teenager in Tim Horton's being "corrected in love" by her friends.

It was so painful to witness that I left the restaurant.


Truth be told, my friend would need to be doing something all together un-holy like breaking all ten commandments within a week before I would "correct" what she was doing.

Why?

Because my life is full of my own shortcomings, who am I to ever correct a friends's behaviour?

I happened upon this article not that long ago and I have found it helpful.  It ends with 14 "how to correct" ideas that are a lot more merciful and gracious than what I have heard or experienced.

Here is a quote.


Another was that God didn’t want me correcting everyone else, even when I spotted faults and flaws in others (which, by the way, is no great gift or something to boast about).
Adjusting the behavior of my brothers and sisters in Christ wasn’t my job or duty. And I needed to pay more attention to my own spiritual walk than that of others (James 4:11).
(In my early years as a believer, I was part of a Christian tradition that was trigger-happy to straighten everyone else out. It was bad teaching that bred legalism and self-righteousness. And I was guilty of embracing it.)
Still another lesson I learned was that in those times when the Lord actually wanted me to correct another person, if I didn’t deliver that correction in Christ, I would end up losing a friend.
An offended friend is harder to win back than a fortified city. Arguments separate friends like a gate locked with bars (Proverbs 18:19).
I wish back then that someone taught me what correction looks like when done in Christ.
Hence this post.


Here is a link to the entire article.
I found it helpful for my own thinking.







No comments:

Post a Comment