Wednesday 26 February 2014


So you all really liked the cake for Rohk's birthday!!  When in doubt, cover a cake in candy.  

Today I am going to share with you a recipe I made up.  From my head.  All on my own.  

They are dairy free, egg free and gluten free.  AND they taste great.  No. I am not lying to you.


I have so many people in my world with food restrictions (myself included) and more often than not the recipes I find on-line taste gross, have weird textures and require strange ingredients.  So, I decided to try my hand at a cookie that tastes like a real cookie for the people I love that can't normally eat cookies.  And one that I could eat so it had to be diabetic friendly as well.  I think I nailed it.  Rohk and Naveed have been eating them for breakfast and snacks for the last 3 days.  Naveed named them for me.  :)


Coconutty Sweets

Pre-heat your oven to 350 and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

You will need:  3/4 cup coconut yogurt (you can happily substitute in dairy yogurt no problem)
2 tbsp ground flax + 4 tbsp water
3 tbsp oil
1/2 cup almond milk

Mix the flax seed and water and let it sit for 3 ish minutes.  Add the rest of the wet ingredients to the flaxseed mixture.

In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients.

1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (grind them up into a chunky powder in a coffee grinder)
1/2 cup toasted coconut or almond or both
1/3 cup coconut flour (sift it.  I find it's clumpy)
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 cup oat flour (I grind up whole oats in my coffee grinder)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 - 3/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips.

Add the wet to the dry and stir to combine.  It should be like a thick muffin batter.  If it's still sticky, add a couple tablespoons of almond milk.

Taking heaping tsp of batter, drop approximately 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.  

They will take around 5 minutes to bake but keep an eye on them.  I find that gluten free, egg free baking is a bit of an art form.  Watch the cookies tops to see when they are done.  There should be an even distribution of air holes released from the top.  I know that sounds weird.  They should look like this.  

  
Let them cool on the pan for a minute before transferring them to a rack to cool.

Enjoy the cookies!!  Happy Wednesday to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment