Friday 4 April 2014

A Breakfast, A Lunch and A Supper


I had taken some pictures of food I had eaten in the last 8 days but most of the pictures were not very good.

So I picked the 3 best ones.  One each of breakfast, lunch and supper.




This is a very typical breakfast for me.  A home made muffin (low fat with lots of vegetables and fibre in them) and 3/4 cup fat free Greek yoghurt with 1 cup of berries.  
I was living on the wild side with the cheese this morning.
Do you like my fancy dishes?
Are you getting tired of looking at my Starbucks mug yet?
(It is in most of my table pictures if you hadn't noticed already)




This day for lunch I had a home made purred cauliflower soup (made with stock and some milk), cornmeal muffins made with yoghurt and whipped eggs whites.  I really like this recipe.  I will have to post it one day. And on top of my muffins were some bagged coleslaw mixed together with a little bit of mayo, a splash of vinegar, almonds and turkey left overs.  It was a super yummy lunch.






And today, for supper, I had half of a steak and 2 pieces of spinach ricotta pie.  It was super yummy.


Here is the recipe for the Spinach Ricotta Pie, taken from a library book.

Spinach Ricotta Pie

1 tsp butter
3 tbsp wheat germ
1  1/4 pound fresh spinach (I think I might have used 2lbs)
16 oz low fat ricotta cheese
4 eggs
1/2 cup green onions
2 tbsp fresh chopped mint (Next time I will use dill.  I did not love the mint)

Use the butter to grease a 9" cake pan
Sprinkle 2 tbsp of wheat germ into the bottom of the pan
Wilt the spinach and squeeze out excess liquid
Combine ricotta, eggs, green onions and mint.
Add cooled off and drained spinach
Pour into pan and sprinkle remaining wheat germ on top
Bake at 350F until done.
(The recipe said 35min but it took a bit longer.  It will puff up and then you will know it's done.)
Let rest for 5-10 min before cutting and serving

I had a slice for breakfast today.  And I will have some for lunch.  It's yummy.



And in closing, on a completely unrelated food topic,
I am LOVING this Instagram account and blog.  I have spent hours pouring over the pictures and the captions with each one.  Check it out.  It will totally be worth your time.




2 comments:

  1. i personally love the fact i can see a sticker on the yogurt container, a girl after my own heart! i thrive on buying sale and discounted produce/groceries. thus why i have 3 freeezers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes! especially Greek yogurt. That stuff is sooo expensive! I am trying to get one freezer this year. Jon and me are coming up with a great red neck plan of putting one in the shed. :D

      Delete