Tuesday 18 March 2014

A Mennonite Themed Meal


I started a Foodie Club about 5 years ago.
It started out as a group women making and eating interesting food for each other.
Meals that our families would not eat.
All of us had one or two friends in the group but we were not all friends.
It was about the food.

Over the last 5 years we have made meals with themes ranging from citrus to Mennonite to raclette to all the courses must be red.  We have had some amazing food.

We have also become the dearest of friends.  Something I had not anticipated and cherish more than any meal we could make.  These girls have kept me grounded, brought laughter, wiped away tears and have been the best friends anyone could ever want.  They will have a part of my heart forever.

For the first time, this year, we will be a group of 5.  Normally we have been 7.
It's amazing what a difference it makes in conversation!  It will take a little bit of getting used to.
To actually be a part of one conversation instead of trying to talk over 2 other conversations going on simultaneously is so strange.

We are going away for a trip in April.  Another first for us.  And I could not be more thrilled to be going away with 4 of my favourite people in the world.

Would you like to meet them? Ok.  Good.

(I am not using their real names because I did not ask them if I could)

This is Gretchen.  She loves interesting vinegars & oils and eating local.  Her roasted vegetables are amazing!  For serious.  You should try them.  And her Christmas tree cookies are a family favourite.  Christmas is not right until those red and green trees have been decorated and devoured.



Meet  The Crowd Pleaser.  This woman was meant to cook for groups of people over 30.  She has mad group feeding skills that I will never have.  Also, if you ever get a chance to eat her dessert taco's, perogies or waffles, wear very stretchy pants.



Hello Dippy!
Don't be fooled.  She is super intelligent and FULL of medical knowledge.  (We like to go to her for medical advise.)  But yes.  Dippy.  Her dips are amazing!  I did not know I liked dip until I ate hers.  They are that good.   In the same vein, I did not know how good a doughnut could be until I ate 2 that she made.  Or maybe it was 3...



And last, but certainly not least, is Risky Biscuit.
Because she is so brave in her food choices!  Risky Biscuit.   She made us beef tartar once and tulle cookies another time.  If that's not bravery in a home kitchen I don't know what is.  As well, she joined our established group of 4 years, only knowing me, and that takes guts.



And now, for your viewing pleasure, random pictures of us over the years.


I love everything about this picture



This picture makes me smile :)



(I am so intrigued by this picture. So serious with questioning looks!)





I will post food we have made another time.
The End

2 comments:

  1. Replace Foodie with Knitting and I have a great group of girls as well! They are awesome! We range from 3 to 8 but it is a similar idea. We do knit alongs, swaps and other yarny things. So fun.

    ReplyDelete