Wednesday 26 March 2014



Nav and me have done a lot of origami this year.  It has been good practice for following directions, fine motor skills development and it has been an easy introduction to a small part of Japanese culture.  I have a great appreciation for the art of folding paper.  It is really hard!

Why am I telling you this??  Sag-way to...

I home school Nav and for now, it is a good fit for our whole family.  And I felt like typing about it today.

When deciding to home school, a major deciding factor was what our family dynamic is and who Nav is.  It will be a topic that will be revisited over and over again.  Because life is fluid and our little girl is growing up.  Life changes constantly.

I think it will be an annual discussion,  

I am not super typical of the home school crowd.  I see the benefits of public school and the benefits of home school.  I don't see the two as pitted against each other.  It comes down to the child for me.  What will benefit the education of my kid?  What environment will be the best for my child to learn in?  What is the temperament of my child?  Do the pro's out weigh the con's for public or home school?  
What do I think an education is?



(Nav likes to doodle in her books sometimes)


    And so, we home school.  
I don't need to have the discussion written out here about the answers Jon and I landed on.  I am not interested in convincing you, the reader, of anything.  This is the right decision for Nav and our family.

(I won't debate it if you disagree with our decision.  I get to have my opinion and you get to have yours.)

Here are some pictures of our last 6 months of home schooling.












This morning Nav is on her way to a field trip at Boston Pizza.  Later we will do some language arts.

I love schooling at home.

2 comments:

  1. It looks magical. But hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard work and often magical. You are right. :) However, some days are shit on a stick I want to forget about them. Also, some days are super easy. :) I should do a post about the days that don't go well!!

      Delete