Monday 24 March 2014



This was me in June.  With my handsome man and boy at my cousins wedding.

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes four months after this picture was taken.

That day sucked.

I was automatically prescribed a tonne of medication and sent on my way.
On the way home I stopped in at my parents and my dad gave me a book to read  (30 Day  Diabetes Miracle)  I started that day to follow the book and I am managing my disease without medication.  (Thanks Dad!!)   To this day I follow a lot of what they teach.  I try to eat complex carbohydrates every chance I get, eat very 41/2 to 5hours, 3 meals a day and sometimes a small snack at night.

Also, I have some of the very healthiest friends on the planet.  Without them I think I would not have been as successful at getting my blood sugar numbers down.  They have been encouraging and supportive in ways I never could have imagined.  Have I ever mentioned how much I love my friends?  Well, if I haven't, I really love my friends.

A significant part of controlling diabetes is getting your weight to a healthy one.  I am working on it and I know I am doing a good job.  I don't have a goal in mind for weight, I truly just want to be healthy.  I am currently down 3 sizes.  I have never weighed myself so I have no idea what the actual weight loss is. Shopping in regular clothing stores is the best part of my diagnosis.  Check out my favourite new(ish) sweater!



So, here are a few dishes that I ate in the last week, for those that are curious about what I am eating.



3 slices of home made whole wheat bread with Dijon mustard, wilted spinach, sautéed onions, matchstick apples, mozzarella cheese, all put under the broiler.  1/2 cup of plain no fat Greek yoghurt sweetened with sugar free jam and 1/4 cup frozen mango


Frozen cauliflower and broccoli boiled,  one English muffin, 1/2 with mustard, kielbasa  sausage, baby spinach and kale.  The other half was with sugar free jam and cheese.  Home made iced coffee on the side, no sweetener 


This waffle was strange.  The waffle had very little carbohydrates so I could load it up with lots of toppings.  The waffle was made from coconut flour, eggs, cinnamon and baking soda.  I don't recommend the recipe at all.  But the toppings were great!  I had whipping cream sweetened with sugar free maple syrup and frozen berries that I simmered in their own juice and blended. And there might have been a 1/2 tsp of sugar free jam.  I cant recall.

This is some cabbage in a bag tossed with lime juice, rice vinegar, sesame oil, siracha and peanuts on top.  To the side are some apple oat muffins I made a long time ago and found in the freezer.  And a chicken cordon bleu thing my from my mom.  It was super yummy.

And this is from my Saturday afternoon.  A big bowl of home made tomato soup,  2 zucchini  oat muffins, handful of almonds and some chocolate.   Also, I took this book out of the library and it was really good!  I wrote down almost 20 recipes from it.


I don't count calories.  At all.
I don't eat refined white sugar or flour. At all.

I eat as many vegetables as I can in a day
I eat a lot of home made muffins
I eat as much really dark chocolate as I can
I eat 30-45 carbohydrates per meal (minus the fiber count on all food for actual carbohydrate number)
I eat a lot of eggs 
The only powdered sweetener I use is coconut sugar
When I can, I replace almond milk for regular milk
I go through a lot of Greek yoghurt and only buy it on sale or discounted.  That stuff is expensive!

I am not very consistent at keeping my fat intake to a minimum.  Some weeks are better than others. Cheese is just so good with no carbs!  

The end.  

No comments:

Post a Comment