Monday 31 March 2014



I make up recipes.

Mostly because, if what I want to make does not exist on-line in the 15min I spend Google-ing ideas, I have to make it up.

Savoury tarts with apples and sweet potatoes was what I was wanting to make on Friday.  There did not seem to be anything on-line along those lines, so I had to wing it! 

These are pictures and general descriptions of what I did.  
Everything is by sight and feel for me.  
Not very helpful if you want to make these and like specifics.  Sorry.




This is one small sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 1/4 rounds.  I wanted small 
layers of potatoes to fit nicely into the muffin tin.  Cutting the potato's into rounds made sense to me.  
Also, I peeled some ginger and cut it into fat match sticks.



I loosely layered the sweet potato with the ginger in a baking dish, put a splash of water on the potatoes and baked them for about 30min at 350F.



While my potatoes were baking, I caramelized one red onion in a big gob of butter.



And while my onions were cooking up, I softened 3 diced apples in another big gob of butter.  Once the apples were just softened I took them off the heat and added about 1/4 tsp of fresh ground pepper to them.



So my sour cream did not thicken like I wanted it to.  I ended up whipping it because I didn't want a sauce.  I wanted a solid.  Then I added a dash of salt, some pepper and about 1/2 tsp of fresh thyme.  I would have liked it to have been more sour but oh well!



I layered 3 sheets of phyllo with olive oil in between the layers.  I roughly cut the phyllo into squares and pushed them into my muffin tin.  I put one layer of potato's, a tablespoon-ish of apples, some onion and then a few more potatoes.  I baked these at 350F for about 20-25 min.
Just until the phyllo was crispy and the filling was warm.



And here they are!
I really liked them and I think everyone else did as well.
I had no leftovers! 


The End

No comments:

Post a Comment